Skip to content

Dodge Journey Search

September 15, 2011

Recently, Dodge launched an innovative marketing campaign for the Journey, “the Search Engine for the Real World.” Quite simply, they have or will hide three Dodge Journeys in the United States (one in each of three regions: West, Midwest and East).

Initially, they introduced two general videos, one, found on their YouTube channel:

And another variation, found in Adweek:

From these two videos alone, you can determine solid segments of their route for each region.

Clues in videos launched the day of hunt, will help you narrow a search radius (300-mile, 75-mile, 50-mile, 25-mile, and 5-mile).

They do need to tweak some of the campaign dialog (below) but the tag line “the Search Engine for the Real World” is brilliant.

People don’t make a list of websites they want to see before they die.

They don’t fill photo albums with pictures from an online search.

Like being there is not like being there.

It’s okay, the internet will be just fine without you.

That’s why we built the first search engine for the real world, the Dodge Journey.

And then, we left three, somewhere out here.

If you can find one, you can have one.

You won’t find any of them online but it might help you figure out where they might be.

Obviously, use of the internet has been essential in identifying the route, and location within 20-miles, from the introductory commercial alone.

For more information, including How to Play, visit their YouTube channel.

Advertisements
12 Comments leave one →
  1. September 17, 2011 9:22 am

The NYS twin bridges scene… it’s headed south. Check the street view. Northbound off the bridge is flat, southbound has a rise… you can match the tree line too.

• Steven Barley permalink
      September 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Sorry for the delayed response (got buried in all of the Midwest comments). Seems like you’re right though … odd.

2. James R. Willhoft (Jim W.) permalink
    September 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Steven,

Hope I have enough space here to leave my comment. If not, contact me via E-Mail for further clarification. I need your help after 9/24 in a search that does not involve a Dodge Journey, but one that is just as exciting.

This past Memorial Day, I crossed the Thaddeus Kosciusko Bridge headed to Lake Placid NY to look for a treasure. It was the third time I searched and was unsuccessful. Let me explain.

Long before GPS, Google Earth, GeoCache, and Dodge Journeys, in 1967, an advertising agency in NYC began hiding cases of Canadian Club Whisky all over the world. In all, 25 cases of booze were hidden. Of the 25, 9 had not been found. I need your objective thoughts on the clues for the Lake Placid case. If possible, could you go to http://www.hideacase.com and look at the clues for the case in LP, NY. Any thoughts would be appreciated as to your interpretation.

In July of 2010, CC launched an OnLine campaign to find one of the 9 cases. 12,000 people entered the contest. 30 people advanced to the semi-finals based on six weeks of brain-teasers and puzzles. I was one of the 30. Unfortunately, I did not make it to the final 8 people who conducted a search for a case hidden in the South Pacific. After that case was found, only 8 remain scattered across the world.

Let me know of any thoughts you have regarding the Case of CC in LP, NY. Thanks. Jim Willhoft jwillhoft@corptax.com 860-798-1337

P.S. I live in CT. Assuming I get permission from my wife (Doubtful), I’ll be headed up to the NY/VT border this coming Saturday morning.

• Steven Barley permalink
      September 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi James. Happy to review (and sorry I missed out on the contest launch). I have to ask you, though: a case of CC whiskey? Does it have value? Or is there a prize if you find the location/case? Cheers! Steve

• James R. Willhoft (Jim W.) permalink
        September 19, 2011 9:10 pm

As the contest is quite old, I’m not sure if there is truth to the rumor that each case generated a prize of $10K. W/Five kids and a big mortgage, any $K is good. The search is the thing for me. Any help you can lend would be appreciated. Any collaborative effort should allow us to split 50/50. Therefore, hope you would agree on 50% of the cash (if any), 50% of the booze, and 50% of the fame.

• Steven Barley permalink
        September 19, 2011 9:38 pm

Seems fair 🙂 And all you have to work with is the ad, correct?

3. James R. Willhoft (Jim W.) permalink
    September 19, 2011 9:49 pm

The ad is the starting point. Thru local LP newspaper accounts and other bits of information I obtained over time, consider the following: The case was hidden in August of 1979. There was not a flake of snow on the ground. The blizzard picture and write-up are just poetic license. I’ve worked w/a few people from the area in hiking/looking. One of them knows the blond in the ad. She and the others in the ad were paid to ski in a blizzard miles (and months) from where the case was hidden. The ad speaks of bury and hide in the same write-up. So, it could truly be buried or hidden in a fake stump/rock/etc. I have to believe the last clue is the key “…we hid our liquid treasure in a place where those who seek gold will miss by a quarter of a mile…” The ski jumps and the Olympic torch provide good, immovable landmarks near John Brown’s farm. All are w/in a quarter mile w/some rounding. The other clues that speak of ski trails and a view of Whiteface mountain seem to fit. Lastly, via Googlemaps, you can drill down on JB’s Farm/the ski jumps/The Torch. JB’s farm ends in a road that forms the number 6. One of the clues speaks about a “…sixth sense…” Maybe a stretch, maybe not. Of the 8 remaining cases, the clues for two were never published. That leaves 6. The LP clues are vague at best. Likewise the clues for the Yukon Territory and Robinson Crusoe Island off the coast of Chile. The clues for Africa and Scotland are very specific. However, the spots are somewhat out of the way. Lastly, the North Pole clues are the most specific. But that case sank long ago or Santa got it. Thanks, Jim W.

• James R. Willhoft (Jim W.) permalink
      September 19, 2011 10:04 pm

Steven,

That’s it. Work the ad. All the other cases had ads associated w/them, too. You can see all the ads @ http://www.hideacase.com My next trip to LP probably won’t be until Memorial Day 2012. So, keep me posted.

Jim W.

4. James R. Willhoft (Jim W.) permalink
    September 19, 2011 10:05 pm

Additional E-Mail in case I win the lottery and quit my full-time job.
    james.willhoft@gte.net

5. Jarid Miller permalink
    September 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Hey Steven,

We had an awesome time this weekend looking for the Journey, This was a good family adventure that we would like to participate in more of. How do I find more of these to go on. Doesnt have to be for a car or a huge prize but the thrill of the chase. Thanks for all your help this weekend as we had a blast.

Jarid in PA

• Steven Barley permalink
      September 26, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi Jarid. Glad to hear you had the entire family out for this unique experience. They do make for some grand memories. My daughter, many years ago, spent time going through A Treasure’s Tale, and talking about the latest discoveries. Later on, we moved on to physical hunts by Ravenchase involving codes and ciphers, at different levels of difficulty. (And you are playing for fabulously tacky prizes :-P) We also gave geocaching a go – a bit like a scavenger hunt with gps, and it gets you out into the real world, but I like a good puzzle, a challenge and the thrill of the hunt. All the best!

6. Cathy permalink
    September 27, 2011 3:37 pm

Steven –

You should make your own treasure hunt now! I’d be excited to see what you would come up with – thanks for keeping up with all the information during this search – it’s fascinating to see how one can build a website and gather information from many sources (including other “players”). Congrats and thanks for all the fun!